The Simple Steps of Saliva Collection:
Read this entire section carefully before collecting saliva and select the best morning/day for collection.
Plan a little extra time depending on dryness of your mouth; sample collecting can take about 15-20 minutes. For dry mouths, you can stimulate saliva by gently pressing the tip of your tongue against your teeth. If necessary chew sugarless gum to stimulate saliva flow.
Lay out the kit's contents the night before as a reminder to collect saliva in the morning.
Fill out the requisition form with black ink (no gel or marker pens) the night before to save yourself some time. Don't forget to add the date and time of collection to the form once saliva has been collected.
Take your hormones at least 12-24 hours (36 hours is using Sublingual or Troche) before you plan on collecting saliva. Take caution to not apply topical hormones to face/neck the night before collection.
Change pillowcase the night before you collect (to avoid possible contamination).
WHEN SHOULD I COLLECT SAMPLES?
Two Tube Kit: If your kit contains 1 large tube and 1 small tube, collect saliva as above in morning (large tube), and again before bed (small tube). Each collection should be at least 2 hours apart from eating and drinking. These saliva samples are used to test all hormones (large tube) plus night cortisol (small tube).
Four Tube Kit: If your kit contains 1 large tube and 3 small tubes, collect saliva as above in morning (large tube), and again after lunch, before dinner, and before bed (small tubes). Each collection should be at least 2 hours apart from eating and drinking. (These saliva tests samples are used to test all hormones (large tube) plus noon, evening, and night cortisol (small tubes).
EASY STEPS TO SUCCESSFUL SALIVA COLLECTION:
1) Wash hands and rinse mouth twice with cold water just before collecting saliva. Do NOT eat, drink, brush teeth, or floss before collecting sample.
2) Begin collecting saliva sample in plastic tube (large tube for am collection and smaller tubes [if enclosed] for noon, evening, and night collection). To ensure accurate results and avoid retesting fill tube(s) at least ½ full.
DO NOT PLACE ABSORBANT MATERIAL IN TUBE(S).
3) Cap tube(s) tightly. Print name, date, & time (specify am or pm) of collection on the label.
4) Place the tube(s) in the plastic zip-lock bag containing the absorbent material and seal bag.
5) Complete the requisition form and any other paperwork that may be in the kit. Don't forget to write or have your health care provider indicate what tests are to be completed at the bottom of the form.
6) Place the tube(s) and applicable paperwork (original requisition form must be returned) in the box.